A court date has been set for a 69-year-old Prince Albert man accused of sexually assaulting multiple victims, dating back nearly 50 years, while he was a teacher at the Moosomin First Nations Day School.
Morris Hryniuk is scheduled to appear Feb. 13 in North Battleford provincial court, to face eight counts of indecent assault after RCMP investigated allegations that date back to 1964.
The accusations were first reported to North Battleford RCMP in January 2008.
"It does take quite a lengthy period of time sometimes with these historical investigations," Cpl. Amber Clark of Battlefords RCMP said in November, when asked about the long period between the initial reports and the laying of charges. She cited the large number of victims and the extended passage of time since the alleged crimes occurred. The school is no longer in operation.
Hryniuk was arrested late last year in Prince Albert before being released with a court date, Clark said.
According to RCMP, the school was band operated and was not a residential school.
Moosomin First Nation Day School no longer exists.