First Nations groups across Canada are appalled at the parliament's decision to not launch a public inquiry in to missing and murdered aboriginal women.
Here in Northern BC, Carrier Sekani Tribal Chief Terry Teegee says the latest count of missing women is well over 800, nationally.
"We need to get to find an answer to all of our outstanding questions of why so many missing and murdered women are out there," he says. "Especially in light of Miss Saunders who went missing and was found murdered later on."
Even missing persons calls have been increasing in Prince George in recent years, according to a police report last month, despite an overall decrease in crime.
Teegee says the connection between the two is still not clear, "it just gives one more initiative to put forward this inquiry into missing and murdered women."
"You can also relate this back to children as well as men, and why there are so many missing men out there," he says.
Teegee speculates they didn't move forward with the inquiry over cost concerns and feels the issue isn't high on the government's priority list.
"They don't want to demonstrate that they haven't done anything in terms of alleviating this matter," Teegee says. "
Also, the strained relationship we have with this government.
" Missing and murdered women will be the subject of a new Highway of Tears documentary to be screened at UNBC's Canfor Theatre this Saturday at 6 p.m..