By: The Canadian Press
WINNIPEG - The RCMP will hold a news conference in Winnipeg today to release what it calls a "national operational overview on missing and murdered aboriginal women."
This follows recent revelations that an estimated 1,200 aboriginal women and girls have been murdered or gone missing in Canada in the past 30 years.
The figure, provided by RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson, is hundreds more than previously believed, and prompted several calls for a national inquiry.
The federal Conservative government, however, has so far resisted calls for such an inquiry, saying the issue has been studied enough and it's time for action.
On Monday, a United Nations official who spent nine days in Canada last year studying aboriginal issues also called for a national inquiry.
James Anaya said even though some steps have been taken, an investigation into missing and murdered aboriginal women and girls is still necessary.
Earlier this month, Metis actor and singer Tom Jackson also added his voice to calls for an inquest.
"If we don't protect the people who live around us, what does that say about us as a society?'' Jackson said May 8 on Parliament Hill.